Thursday, January 7, 2010

Farm Fresh to You

So I signed up for this new program for fresh organic produce delivered to my house from Farm Fresh to You. I choose the small mixed produce box (includes vegetables and fruits) and it normally cost $25. For 1st time customers, you get a $10 discount and I am only paying $15 for this first box. I decided to try them out not only for the discount but also because:
1. You can choose to have your delivery every week, every other week, every month or whenever you need it. I choose once a month.
2. You can tell them what produce you do not want and they will replace it with other items that you do want. I haven't tried this yet, but I am looking forward to this.
3. They deliver your produce box right up to your door.

This morning I left my house at 9 am and found this great box in front of my door.

And here is what I got...

Navel Oranges (2 lbs), Eureka Lemons (1.5 lb), Braeburn Apples (2 lbs), Bacon Avocados (2), White Mushrooms (0.5 lb), Collard Greens (1 bunch), Red Leaf Lettuce (1 bunch), Leeks (1 lb)

So I think I will be making some yummy lemon bars, having a healthy salad, sauteing mushrooms, and eating fresh fruits. But I am stuck on the collard greens and leeks. And suggestions?

I'll let you know how my other produce boxes go...

3 comments:

  1. OK, I think I have some recipes for the greens. Let me look. I'm thinking about doing the Valley box, but not sure. Hummm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. greens are yummy.. I cook them the same way I cook spinach, just add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce...yummmm

    I know Rachael Ray has a ton or recipe's with leeks in them. You can look her up and search by ingredient. I've used them like ones and I remember them being gritty... washing them is very tricky.. :)

    looks like you got a great deal! I wonder if they deliver over here on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela - Thanks for the idea. I have been looking up recipes but its always nice to get ideas from others. Some friends have given me a lot of different ideas. But its good to know that the collard greens can be used similar to spinach. We love spinach and I can already think of stuff to make.
    And I do not think they deliver to your area but there probably is some other farm that does. Its a great program and it forces us to try new veggies out. :)

    ReplyDelete